The Importance of Taking Care of Your Baby's Skin
The body surface in relation to weight is three times greater in children than in adults, so they are more exposed to the toxicity of external agents.
This is why hygiene and proper nutrition are critical factors to consider, for keeping this immature skin in good condition and thus avoiding complications and the appearance of pathologies in the future. This leads us to take special care and precaution in how to protect it without altering its natural factors and composition
These are some aspects that you need to take into consideration, when taking care of your baby's skin:
The bathroom is a privileged daily moment that combines pleasure and complicity. It is a unique moment of connection with your baby. It is essential for your baby's hygiene and also allows him/her to relax.
Our tips during the bath
4 key points for the baby's bath.
- The right temperature: for the water should be 37°C and the room should be between 22-24°C.
- Use the right products: this is quite important for everything we mentioned above about the characteristics of babies' skin. Classic soaps or foaming gels should be avoided as this could irritate and even may affect the composition of the natural hydrolipidic barrier of our children's skin. Special soap free-cleansing creams and oils should be preferred, which -gently cleanse your baby skin, so that it can mature by receiving what it needs more naturally.
- The appropriate duration: this should not exceed 5 minutes.
- The right shampoo: this should not irritate the eyes and should respect the baby's scalp, with a physiological pH and mild cleansers so it does not to alter the skin.
Our advice after the bath
Dry your baby well, gently, without forgetting any folds. The goal is to prevent moisture from remaining on the skin, as this could lead to irritation and infection. The use of talcum powder should be avoided, since it dries the skin very much and it should be enough to dry his/her skin well. Moisturizing your skin is a very important step after bathing and it is very important to avoid dryness. A safe and effective moisturizing cream is recommended so that it does not irritate and respects the skin barrier of the little ones.
Diaper change time
It's important to change your baby's diaper often, at least as soon as it's soiled and at every feeding. However, it can present itself as a small daily and very common annoyance, diaper rash.
At least half of all babies suffer from diaper rash at some time. It appears when urine or feces present in the diaper irritates the baby's skin. In fact, reddened and inflamed skin in the diaper area is one of the most frequent reasons why parents seek the attention of their child's doctor.
Our advice during the diaper change
Use suitable soothing products: to prevent redness from appearing, it is recommended to apply a protective and soothing cream. It is important to find a cream that meets the following requirements:
- That protects and isolates the skin from the damage caused by urine and feces.
- That relieves minor irritations and discomfort.
- To repair weakened skin and prevent the appearance of redness on a daily basis. Clean your baby's skin with suitable products, if you are using wipes, look for one that has natural components so won't irritate your baby's skin, we recommend Nateen wipes. With proper hygienic care, redness in the diaper area disappears in a few days. If not, don't hesitate to contact your pediatrician.
It is essential to choose the right products and adapted to the needs of the little ones, since the complete development of the skin will continue throughout the child's first years.
Sign up to our newsletter today to get more parenting tips!
Learn More About our Products